The planes were made out of 2 different straws. 1 of the straws was a large one and the other one was a straw you drink out of at a restaurant. The large straw we cut in half to put in between the popscile sticks. We also used 2 popsicle stick and we had to sand down the ends to make them fit the picture in our science journal. Then we had to flatten the large straw so we could put the popsicle sticks in front and in back of the large straw. Then we brought it up to our science teacher so he could staple the large straw to the popsicle sticks so they wouldn't fall apart when we put other straw on the fishing line. We had to put the propler on the front of the plane and then we put another piece of plastic on the other end so we could put the rubber band on the hook of the propler and the back of the plane so we could test to see how far it went on the fishing line.
We had to test how far the plane would go if we wound it up clockwise on the fishing line. It was 230 cm of fishing line for each of the groups. We duck taped the fishing line to each of the chiars in the room. We would wind the rubber band and we had to protected how many winds it would take to make it to the other side of the 230 cm. My gruop protected that it would take 15 winds but it really took 29 winds. We didn't think that it would take that many winds. Then we tried half way qne it took 15 winds to do half way. We tried small, big, skinny, stretchy, stiff rubber bands. We found out that the thicker rubber bands work better then the skinny and small ones.
In this unit I learned lots of things that I didn't think I really knew. I thought it would be a borning experiment but I realized that it would be fun. You can't change more then on variable at a time or you won't know what one really did change. I also learned that thicker rubber bands work better on the Floss plane then the skinny and small ones. I really liked this unit but not in the beginning when I was looking at the page in our science journal.

No comments:
Post a Comment